unit 3 – home series

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPvwFXqiCWBnUlrHXKf9IVAwFOEZkMa7/view?usp=sharing

House One: This home is a representation of Self isolation, unrest and denial.

This tiny house reminds me of a fairy tale cottage, one that would be hidden deep in the woods.

House Two: This home is a representation  of The fight of pretending that I can be more than I am. Anger and fear.

This slightly lager house was based on one of the houses that would be attached or near a light house. made of stone and wooden beams I made the roof shingles all buy hand one by one.

House Three: This home is a representation of the struggles with my family. Bargaining and broken.

I am using the “Comox Box” as a jumping off point. Though It is still very rough and needs a lot of work and clean up!

House Four: This home is a representation of  vulnerability, hided by depression.

I went with a rustic barn for this one, making it quite large in comparison to the rest of my little houses, this one I wanted to just have a bit of fun with this one.

House Five/Six: This home is a representation of me and the acceptance of who I am.

This one is the most personal to me. Based on the tiny shed in my parent backyard where I spent most of my childhood. I had dreams of living in the little house. I made it special and made it my own space. But now it is old, falling apart and filled with rats. ( I also made a scaled up version to wear on my head)

House Seven:

I made this house as a place to project my video for project 2! I am super excited about this one! it is so big and I love it.

Title: What Is Home (Paper Cuts)

Medium: Paper

Name: Kimberly Holmes

Artist Statement:

I wanted to do a personal project that made me look deep at myself and create a project in relationship to the ideas that I found. I took something simple. A paper house. The whole process was a chaotic cathartic process for me. at every step I would consider, “what is home?” and “what dose home mean to me?” I found myself constantly shifting and changing my ideas. until finally settling into placing my traumas, struggles and joys into my art work.  This became a way to understand that home is fragile, it is warm and it is not a place, but instead it is me.